[Announcements] BitShares Blockchain fixed - Asset creation re-enabled

Fabian Schuh Fabian.Schuh at bitshares.foundation
Fri Oct 20 15:44:50 CEST 2017

Thanks to back-end developers of BitShares, a new
release [1] has been tagged that fixes the bug that was discovered
yesterday [2] and that led to the committee disabling asset
creation, temporarily.

It is our pleasure to announce that the BitShares blockchain is fully
operational again, including asset creation at the expected fees.

We, the BitShares Blockchain Foundation would like to thank the back-end
developers that solved the issue so quickly as well as the committee
members that assisted in making sure the bug cannot be exploited.
Furthermore, we would like to thank the block producers (witnesses) for
deploying the fix so quickly and allowing to go back into normal
operation mode, today.

We would like to remark, that due to the technical superiority of
BitShares and its governance process, a network upgrade (as *soft fork*)
was deployed in **less than 24 hours**.

Affected Users
==============

The upgrade was deployed so quickly as it was implemented as a
*soft-fork*. This patch ensures that the bug cannot be exploited by
requiring the fee for `asset_creation_operation` to be paid in `BTS`.
This restricts users slightly as they cannot pay the fee in any other
asset than `BTS`. We apologize for this inconvenience, and plan to
include a proper update in the upcoming hard-fork that is planned for
November (more about this to be released soon).

Links:
 [1] https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-core/releases/tag/2.0.171019a
 [2] https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-core/issues/433

--
Stichting BitShares Blockchain Foundation
Pothoofd 24
mail: fabian.schuh at bitshares.foundation
web:  http://bitshares.foundation
Registration: KVK-66190169

Official Public Face and sole Spokesperson of the BitShares Blockchain
http://www.bitshares.foundation/spokesperson